Strategic Finance & Business Analytics*Masters degree program
4 Semesters, 120 ECTS
Master of Arts
The Strategic Finance and Business Analytics* master program at Lauder Business School (LBS) combines contemporary knowledge in the field of international banking and finance with the latest trends in business analytics. This innovative program is designed to provide you with an in-depth understanding of the finance and banking industry and to equip you with essential research, analytical and critical thinking skills. You will learn to be a data-driven deal-maker and financial professional who understands the importance of management in leading financial institutions, consulting and auditing companies.
Our experienced and committed faculty of real-world practitioners and academic researchers will give you a comprehensive introduction to the theory and offer practical examples from their professional life. At LBS, emphasis is put on the practical side of education. In simulation exercises, real-life project work and industry-related research, you will be prepared to creatively and efficiently tackle business challenges. In addition, we recommend continuous work experience and encourage it by possible accreditation of some courses.
At LBS, students get the chance to study both the global economy and international business by merging the best that the American business educational system has to offer with the finest European business tradition.
* pending accreditation by the AQ Austria (see further information below)
• Access to financial data sources – Bloomberg
• Learn to use the statistical software package R
• Get IPMA-D certificate at a 50% discount
• Student Consultancy Project with a partner company
• Banking Simulation
• Real-world practitioners as lecturers
• Harvard MOC classes
• Interactive & international study environment
• Group work & project-based learning
• Work part-time & accredit some courses
Asset Manager, Business Analyst, Investment Banker, Economic Consultant, Risk Manager, Treasurer, Financial Analyst, Reporting Specialist, Compliance Officer, Data Scientist, etc.
Curriculum 2019/20* Explained
Due to continuous evaluation and quality assurance measurement and in light of the recent job market trends, the Curricular Development Team and the Council of Lauder Business School decided to tailor the existing Banking, Finance and Compliance master program by placing a larger emphasis on the fast-growing field of business analytics as well as on strategic decision-making in the financial sector.
As a result, beginning with the academic year 2019/2020, LBS students will have the opportunity to enroll in the redesigned, state-of-the-art master program: Strategic Finance and Business Analytics*.
What has Changed?
- business analytics module added to the curriculum
- emphasis on quantitative method
- in-depth data analysis with the respective software/tools
The overwhelming majority of courses (85%) remains identical to the pre-existing Banking, Finance and Compliance master program, with the banking and compliance courses being the vital pillars of the redesigned curriculum too.
These changes were conceptualized in line with the feedback from our industry partners, students and lecturers with the aim to foster our graduates and provide them with a clear competitive advantage on the job market.Prof. (FH) Dr. Tamás Csermely, MSc
- completed bachelor degree program in the relevant field* of at least 180 ECTS
- or a completed equivalent program at a recognized domestic or recognized foreign post-secondary education institution. This must be an education institution offering programmes that last at least six semesters, which require the general matriculation standard pursuant to this federal statute for admission, and known as a post-secondary education institution pursuant to the legislation of the country where it is located.
- adequate command of English
In the case of Bachelor’s programs not regulated by accreditation, the director of studies of the degree program or the Council will decide whether the other program fulfills the relevant admission requirement. Information about which bachelors or post-secondary programs qualify as relevant admission requirement for certain FH masters degree programs is available from administrators or the director of studies.
* a bachelor’s degree with a quantitative background (e.g. in business administration, finance, economics, business analysis, data science, computer science, mathematics, etc.)
BFC15: TODAY WE ARE MANAGING A BANK!
On April 24 and 25, 2017, the Banking, Finance and Compliance 2015 cohort had a chance to participate in a Universal Banking simulation organized by Lauder Business School and TOPSIM®. The purpose of the simulation was for students to emulate “a flight simulator for managers”, based on a learning-by-doing approach.
Dr. Gernot Hinterleitner, Head of ICAAP at Raiffeisenbank International AG and a certified TOPSIM® lecturer, guided the BFC students through these two exciting days. Their task was to manage a virtual bank in the following areas: loan & deposit business, financial management, investment banking, wealth management, human resources and marketing.
TOPSIM® Simulations are deployed in many companies across the US, Europe and Asia. In addition, they are used by more than 300 universities in Germany, as well as 70 per cent of the 30 DAX-listed companies. Some of the businesses are: UniCredit Bank Austria AG, Credit Suisse Group, Erste Group Bank AG, Allianz, McKinsey, BCG. Some of the educational institutions include: Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München, Freie Universität Berlin, Universität Tübingen, WHU – Otto Beisheim School of Management, Siemens CKI RWTH Aachen, Frankfurt School of Finance and Management, European Business School, WU Wien, etc.
The purpose of the simulation was for students to emulate “a flight simulator for managers”, based on a learning-by-doing approach.